The HaveIBeenPwned platform watches for breaches and can be used to check email addresses to see if an account linked to that email has been compromised in a data breach.
Over the last few months, HaveIBeenPwned has reported huge numbers of data breaches involving millions of records. This can highlight just how frequently these serious breaches are taking place, which is bad for us all.
Data breaches are becoming an increasing threat in society, particularly with the way 2020 evolved with a huge increase in people working from home due to the coronavirus pandemic. Your Lawyers (T/a The Data Leak Lawyers) are experts in the field of data breach law as a leading firm of compensation experts, and we are always keen to help victims of data breaches and fight for the justice that they deserve. We have helped thousands of victims claim millions in damages, and we may be able to help you too.
HaveIBeenPwned and increases in recent data incidents
HaveIBeenPwned has reported a number of serious data breaches via its Twitter platform, including the following.
- “Home Chef had almost 9M records breached in Feb. Data included email and IP addresses, names, post codes, 4 digits of CC and bcrypt password hashes.”
- “123RF had 8.66M unique email addresses breached in March. The incident also impacted names, IP and physical addresses, phone numbers and MD5 password hashes.”
- “Animal Jam had 7.1M unique email addresses breached last month. Data also included usernames, IP addresses, dates of birth, physical addresses, parent names and passwords stored as PBKDF2 hashes.”
- “Mashable had 1.4M accounts exposed earlier this year. Data included names, genders, expired auth tokens, physical locations, links to social media profiles and partial date of births.”
- “Lazada RedMart has 1.1M accounts exposed and sold online last month. Data included names, phone numbers, addresses, partial credit card data and SHA-1 password hashes.
- “Minted had 4.4M unique email addresses breached in May. Data also included names, physical addresses, phone numbers and bcrypt password hashes.”
Source: HaveIBeenPwned Twitter account.
Data breach threat remains
All the breaches reported by HaveIBeenPwned have affected millions of people combined; in some cases, millions at a time. This highlights the seriousness of data breaches and how important it is for people to remain vigilant when it comes to online security.
Individuals should take the threat of data breaches seriously, with the likelihood that they will be subject to one seemingly getting bigger each day. With the number of people working and studying from home increasing, it is important to take the correct security steps online to protect your personal data and look out for any potential phishing scams.
Victims can make a data breach compensation claim
If you have been the victim of a data breach in England or Wales, you could be eligible to make a compensation claim. For eligible clients, we are proud to be able to offer No Win, No Fee legal representation.
Contact us today to speak to a member of our expert legal team for free, no-obligation advice about your potential claim. We are happy to help, and confident in our ability to get you the justice you deserve.
IMPORTANT: advice on this page is intended to be up-to-date for the 'first published date'.
Request a call back from our team
Fill out our quick call back form below and we'll contact you when you're ready to talk to us.
All fields marked with an * are required.
First published by Author on January 06, 2021
Posted in the following categories: Claims Cybersecurity Data Hacking News Info Scammers Security Technology and tagged with cybersecurity | data breach | data controllers | data leak | email leaks | gdpr | online security | personal data | phishing scams | ransomware | smart technology