AS AN ESTABLISHED FIRM WHO HAS OBTAINED DAMAGES IN SIMILAR CASES AND ACTIONS, WE ARE ABLE TO TAKE CASES FORWARD IMMEDIATELY
About The Charing Cross Gender Identity Clinic Email Leak
The Charing Cross gender clinic data leak was another case of personal information that has been leaked by an email that was sent to a large number of recipients who were “CC’d” into the email.
A large volume of the data breach compensation claims that we take forward are medical cases, and they are often the most severe because of the nature of the information that is exposed. This was a preventable incident, and a mass email of this nature should never have been sent in the way that it was.
From what we understand so far:
- Two emails were sent, with each email sent to around 900 individuals;
- The recipient list in each email was “CC’d” (Carbon Copied) into the email, which means that all recipients of the emails were able to see the email addresses (which can include the names) for all the other recipients;
- The clinic reportedly tried to recall the email, but it was too late.
The Tavistock and Portman NHS Foundation Trust who are responsible for the Charing Cross Clinic are investigating the leak, and said:
“Unfortunately, due to an error, the email addresses of some of those we are inviting to participate were not hidden and therefore visible to all. We can confirm we are reporting this breach to the Information Commissioner’s Office as well as treating it as a serious incident within the Trust.”
GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation) will apply, which means that the UK’s data watchdog, the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO), has the power to issue a substantial fine. It also means that victims can pursue claims for data leak compensation.
Victims of the Charing Cross gender clinic data leak may be entitled to claim damages for any distress caused by the loss of control of personal and sensitive information.
You do not have to have suffered a financial loss to be able to settle a legal case. GDPR allows for victims of an email leak to be compensated for the distress that they suffer which, in a breach of this nature, is often severe.
We use a combination of our expertise as well as expert reports and your testimony to be able to evidence how you have been affected by the leak. We use this evidence to negotiate a fair settlement for what you have had to go through, which means that you get the justice that you deserve.
We can tell you from considerable experience that medical data leak claims are often valued higher than most other types of case. Personal medical information which is what has been exposed in this incident is incredibly sensitive, and the data breach compensation amounts we can recover can be in the tens of thousands of pounds.
We pride ourselves on making sure that our clients are in the know right from the start. When it comes to pursuing a case, these are some of the vital things that you need to know:
- As stated above, you can claim for the distress that is caused by the misuse of your private and sensitive information, and the loss of control over that information;
- This is a clear breach of GDPR and we expect that there will be an admission of liability as we have succeeded with similar cases and actions we have represented claimants for;
- The GIC (gender identity clinic), or the Tavistock and Portman NHS Foundation Trust, may be issued a fine by the ICO, but this fine does not pave the way for people to claim, and money obtained from fines is not designed to be used for compensation. To recover compensation as a victim of the email leak, you instruct your own solicitor to pursue a case for you. However, penalties usually mean that the ICO has made a finding of a breach of the law, which can help to support a case or an action. Importantly, we do not wait for the ICO to conclude their investigations and we pursue the cases immediately ourselves;
- Liability for the incident is with the clinic, and therefore the NHS Trust responsible for the clinic. Although these kinds of leaks are often referred to as “human error” incidents, we see them differently. This was an entirely preventable data breach, and the clinic should have been using proper mailing software that allows bulk emails to be sent without the risk of leaking personal data of recipients. Whoever sent the email should not have been put in the position to risk such a substantial data leak in the first place, and that responsibility ultimately lies with the clinic and the relevant NHS Trust.
No Win, No Fee Representation
We are happy to offer our specialist representation on a No Win, No Fee basis for victims of the Charing Cross gender clinic email leak who pursue their claim for compensation with us.
We offer our No Win, No Fee arrangements for individual Claimants and for those who claim in any of the dozens of group and multi-party actions we are involved with because we are committed to access to justice.
We know many people would be put off from starting a case if they had to pay legal fees if the case does not succeed, and that restricts the ability for everyday people to be able to rightfully pursue the damages they are entitled to. That’s why we are happy to write off our legal fees if the case does not succeed, and all we ask is that you comply with the terms of the agreement we have in place.
We also believe that we will be able to succeed with the compensation action, so the risk to us is actually quite small. We have succeeded with similar compensation actions for email leaks like the 56 Dean Street Clinic data breach, and we believe we will be able to obtain damages for victims.
Not all law firms offer proper No Win, No Fee agreements, which is something to watch out for.
Why Claim With Us
We have been at the forefront of fighting for justice for victims of data breaches, leaks and hacks for a number of years, unlike some other firms who have only recently started looking into these matters.
Thousands of people have come to us for our expert help. As well as having recovered damages for individual data breach claims, we are also representing Claimants in over 25 different group and multi-party actions, one of which is very relevant to the Charing Cross gender clinic data leak; the 56 Dean Street Clinic leak.
So far, we have recovered tens of thousands of pounds in damages for victims of the Dean Street email leak, where an email was sent to hundreds of recipients who were using the clinic for HIV services. We have obtained high quality, specialist expert reports in cases and we are pursuing higher awards of damages because of the nature of that leak. The similarities of the two email leaks that both involve the NHS and the loss of control of incredibly personal and sensitive information means we are already set up to be able to represent people for legal cases and pursue compensation.
We have also been previously appointed by the London High Court of Justice to a Steering Committee leading one of the largest consumer actions ever pursued in England. Our experience speaks for itself; we have successfully recovered damages in countless claims which include medical data leaks, and our established firm is specially set up to pursue large volumes of cases in Group Actions and Multi-Party Litigations.
Affected By The Charing Cross Gender Clinic Email Leak?
Start Your Claim Today
If you were affected by the Charing Cross Gender identity Clinic data leak, you are welcome to join our Claimant Group and claim your compensation with us on a No Win, No Fee basis.
This is not just another data leak where personal contact information has been exposed. This is a serious misuse of private information, and victims are entitled to seek compensation. We know that our expertise and specialist services put us ahead when it comes to serious leaks like this one, and we are proud to be able to offer our services on a No Win, No Fee basis for those who claim with us.
This is more than just a legal case for justice. We are here for you, we want to help and support you, and we will do all that we can to represent your interests and ensure that your voice is heard.
Request a call back from our team
Fill out our quick call back form below and we'll contact you when you're ready to talk to us.
All fields marked with a * are required.
Latest Blogs from The Data Leak Lawyers
You could be eligible to pursue a cyberattack compensation claim, and our team of leading lawyers can offer No Win, No Fee re...Sep 22, 2020
We are proud, as a firm of specialist data breach solicitors, to be able to represent our clients for legal cases on a No Win...Sep 21, 2020
We can represent victims of cloud technology data breaches, with eligible clients being able to benefit from our No Win, No F...Sep 17, 2020
You could be eligible to claim data breach compensation when your healthcare information has been compromised due to exposed ...Sep 16, 2020
You could be entitled to claim compensation for a debit or credit card data scam event with our No Win, No Fee legal represen...Sep 15, 2020
For data breaches identified by third parties, what does this mean for the victim or victims, and what questions do we need t...Sep 14, 2020
The ongoing Northumbria University cyberattack is a cause for concern and has already led to a significant amount of distribu...Sep 11, 2020