Can I claim data breach compensation?
Many victims want to know what rights they have when their information is misused or exposed. A common question we’re asked as experts in this field is whether a person can claim data breach compensation or not.
We do assess claims on a case-by-case basis, so we can’t tell for sure if we can help you unless we know more about what has happened. However, we can give you some useful guidance which is based on our specialism in this area of law. As a law firm who have been fighting for justice for data breach victims for far longer than many other solicitors, our insight can be valuable.
Read on for some more info about whether we may be able to help you or not. However, our team is more than happy to offer you free, no-obligation advice on a confidential basis about right now so you can know if we can help you or not. We don’t ask for upfront fees for our initial advice, and if we can take a case forward, we can also offer No Win, No Fee options.
Can you claim data breach compensation?
We can give you some useful guidance as to whether you may be able to claim data breach compensation with us on a No Win, No Fee basis.
If the answer to any of these questions is yes, you may have a claim:
- Your personal information has been misused – which could be that it has been accessed without authority, has been lost, or is incorrect;
- Your personal information has been leaked or disclosed without your authority;
- Your personal information has been hacked as a result of a lack of adequate security on the part of whoever was responsible for the data.
We can normally help so long as you’re a resident of England or Wales, or if the breach took place in England or Wales. Unfortunately, Scotland and Northern Ireland have separate jurisdictions, and we normally cannot assist.
What do you claim for?
When you claim data breach compensation, there are a number of things that you can be entitled to damages for.
These can include one or a combination of the following:
- Compensation for any distress caused – whether it’s minor or serious and leads to a psychological injury being sustained;
- Financial losses and expenses which could arise from money stolen in a data breach;
- Compensation for simply being the victim of a breach as a result of a recent court ruling.
Data incidents and events can affect different people in different ways. Data breach compensation amounts are generally based on the extent of any suffering and loss that’s caused, and we can focus on this as part of a claim for you.
Free, no-obligation advice
The best way to find out now if you can claim data breach compensation is to speak to our team for free, no-obligation advice.
We’re more than happy to assess the case and let you know if it’s something that we can offer No Win, No Fee representation for. If it is, we may be able to set up a legal case and start work right away.
It’s totally up to you.
IMPORTANT: advice on this page is intended to be up-to-date for the 'first published date'.
Request a call back from our team
Fill out our quick call back form below and we'll contact you when you're ready to talk to us.
All fields marked with a * are required.