As a leading, expert firm of lawyers that specialises in the complex and niche areas of data protection law and consumer actions, we’ve represented thousands of people for a wide range of cases. Whether it’s individual council data breach compensation claims, or worldwide group actions like the Equifax hack of 2017, we’re committed to making sure that people have their say.
You don’t have to suffer in silence when your personal data has been misused, exposed or your privacy rights have been otherwise breached. You’re not alone, and we’re here to help.
When can you claim for a personal data breach?
Victims who suffer a personal data breach could be entitled to claim compensation in several ways and could receive thousands of pounds in damages.
One of the key reasons people claim is to recover compensation for any distress caused by the loss of control of personal information. We understand that people want their data to remain confidential, especially when it comes to particularly sensitive data. We often find that the distress for medical data claims can be significant, because that’s exactly the type of information people want to keep private.
Even names and contact details can cause distress. It can all depend on the context in terms of how the data has been breached and who has misused it or who it has been exposed to. Victims can also be entitled to recover compensation for losses and expenses, like money lost from theft or fraud that’s directly linked to a breach. It could be either distress and loss, or both, that can make up the final data breach compensation pay-out.
Even if you suffered no distress and no financial losses or costs, you can still be eligible to make a claim following a recent court case that can allow people to claim for simply being the victim of a breach.
Examples of recent personal information breaches
Some recent big examples where people are making claims for compensation with us for a personal data breach include:
- The Virgin Media Data Breach that broke at the end of February. We’re now acting for a growing number of victims for this action;
- The LOQBOX data breach, where news that the company was hacked was revealed in recent weeks. We’re representing victims in this action also;
- The British Airways Group Action: although this took place in 2018, at the end of last year, the High Court appointed us to the Steering Committee for a formal Group Litigation Order (GLO) – the first GLO to be formed for a GDPR breach in England and Wales!
Not only do we fight for the rights of victims in large scale incidents, we also represent victims for individual data breaches too.
What we offer our clients
When it comes to making a claim for compensation for a personal data breach in the UK, our experience speaks for itself when it comes to what we offer our clients.
- Leading experience: as one of the first law firms to accept data claims back in 2015 (a lot longer than most firms out there), although we have been representing some clients for privacy breaches since 2014;
- What we believe to be unmatched experience in terms of consumer and group actions for data breaches, with our lawyers fighting for justice in over 30 different actions;
- An experienced firm that has been appointed to Steering Committees for huge and pioneering legal actions in England and Wales.
This is why thousands of people have come to us for our unique expertise and help. It’s also why we’re often in the media speaking to papers and journalists to offer our insight and opinions on data breach matters from around the world.
For you, we can offer free, no-obligation advice for a potential legal case. We can also offer No Win, No Fee representation for clients that we represent.
IMPORTANT: advice on this page is intended to be up-to-date for the 'first published date'.
Request a call back from our team
Fill out our quick call back form below and we'll contact you when you're ready to talk to us.
All fields marked with an * are required.
First published by Matthew on March 16, 2020
Posted in the following categories: Claims Cybersecurity Info and tagged with compensation | cybersecurity | data breach | Group Action | online security | personal data